Elder Gutknecht is one of the residents of the Land of the Dead.
He is a hunched-over skeleton with no teeth, a wispy fragment of beard, and spectacles.
Initially presented as a frightening figure, Elder Gutknecht proves to be rather kind and grandfatherly.
Elder Gutknecht later presides over what would have been Victor and Emily's proper wedding.
He is implied to be gifted magically, as he could use an Ukranian Haunting Spell to send Emily and Victor to the Land of Living. Like most zombies, he can talk to animals.
He appears to very wise and knowledgeable, as he often gives advises to others and has shown considerable knowledge related to the Land of the Dead.
- "Now, why go up there when people are dying to get down here?" - To Emily and Victor Van Dort about going to the Land of Living.
- "Where did I put that book? I left it here somewhere. There's the one. I have it. A Ukranian haunting spell. Just the thing for these quick trips... Now, then... Where were we?" - To Victor and Emily about the Ukranian spell while preparing his wine.
- "Just remember, when you want to come back, say "Hopscotch." - To Emily to come back.
- "The death has already separated you two" - To Emily about her "marriage" with Victor.
- "Dearly beloved... and departed..." - Officiating over the wedding ceremony of Victor and Emily.
- "Wait! We must abide by their rules! We are amongst the living." - Holding a vengeful crowd back from Lord Barkis Bittern.
- "Yep. You're right. He's all yours. - After Lord Barkis's death, letting the rest of the dead torture him.